Tonight Rob and I had planned on hopping on our bikes and heading to the local pub after we put the kiddos to bed, but alas, a rain storm has come and ruined our plans. Instead we are inside our cozy apartment sitting next to each other, sipping port and eating chocolates, each in our own worlds. It’s actually kind of romantic. He’s catching up on a bunch of emails, me, I’m blogging, and we are listening and watching that wicked storm pass overhead. Lightening, hail, and thunder. It’s pretty awesome watching it from our 2nd story abode.
OK, about the day, we have AWESOME news! Benny is now a student at the neighborhood primary school. We met with the director today and I had my list of all the reasons why we would be an asset to the school (Benny-bright, great kid, good disposition, facility with languages, me-not working, at home, available, make great vegan cupcakes and of course, Rob- so smart and “an expert in his field”). I was ready. Bring it on! He would be a fool to let us slip through his hands! So I walk into the school and all I see are children in classrooms. I can’t find a main office anywhere. I see a faculty room and go in. I finally get enough nerve to ask someone where the director’s office is. I approach a man in a black t-shirt. I assumed he was the janitor. Dude, he introduces himself as the director and would I like a drink? Coffee? Tea? Water? WTF?
He invites me into his office and puts me at ease right away. “Where are you from? The States? That’s great. I just booked my flight to New York for October!” It was unbelievable. All my anxiety just fell away. Rob came in a few minutes later and after a few more minutes I felt comfortable enough to smile at him. I thought, “It’s all going to be OK”. He explained to us in great detail the philosophy of the school and how they believe in community and what each child offers to the community etc. It all sounded great. He had us fill out an intake form and then took us on a tour of the school. I could see Benny very happy there. Just as we were about to leave I just had to ask him about the waiting list. I had been told by many people that this school and many others in the neighborhood had long waiting lists and that parents signed up their children prenatally to be at specific schools. I guess knowing all that was what led to my mental breakdown the other day. I just pictured Benny crying and being so sad he had no school to go and had no friends to boot. Anyway, I just had to ask, “So, is there a waiting list?” The sky then opened up, the sun shined down on our corner of Utrecht, and he said, “No, there is no waiting list for you.” My eyes just welled up, but my managed to hold my shit together until we passed through the school gate.
This weekend: market and a castle!
Friday, August 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.