Ok, so it's been a week. So far things are pretty good. Rob and I bought our bikes. I guess, the Dutch, for the most part prefer not to stand out, therefore there are a lot of black bikes out there. i pulled the foreigner card and got a pink "Grandma bike" (yes, that's what they call them). It's awesome. One gear, back-pedal breaks, wicked high handle bars so I have sit straight up. Too cool. Got our bike seats too. Took Shay out the other day. She loved it. Planning to take them both out tomorrow. Pray for me and my cat-like balance.
I was kind of stressed out today. Been looking all around town for a school for Benny to attend when he's four ( in 2 months). There are a bunch of great public schools in our neighborhood, but there are huge waiting lists and well, I've been told that not many schools are interested in taking a non-Dutch kid because he will take up more teaching resources. The nerve! What about the badly needed diversity he will be providing his teachers and classmates! Besides, he knows more about superheroes than most people. Doesn't that count for something?
Overall first impressions:
1. The Dutch do love their bikes. We have our own bike lanes and bike traffic lights (kind of optional to obey, too). Although nobody wears helmets. The dude at the bike shop told us that "the Dutch don't like to wear helmets. They say they look bad. What about your kid? When your kid's face hits asphalt, he doesn't look so good either." That bike shop guy was a trip.
2. Customer service in general blows! I guess it's all the employee rights and benefits working here. They work their 35 hours a week, get 8 weeks of vacay every year and the employee ( not the customer) is always right! My mom and I have been chewed out by a cashier at Ikea and the fries stand. More details later.
3. Dutch...not so friendly. Have no friends now. So not cool. I mean, people will say hello, but that's it. The only exception so far is my downstairs neighbor who has been super helpful. Her excuse: she just got back from spending a year working for Oxfam in DC. She understands what it's like being "a foreigner".
Over all, things are good, of course I'm stressed about Benny's school, but other than that all is good. Tonight after we put the kids down, Rob and I plan on biking into the central to have a bier or two. Although, tonight I really am into the idea of stopping at a "coffee shop". It's been one of those mommy days...
Wednesday, August 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.